Welcome to my site.
I am a first-year graduate student in interdepartmental group of biostatistics jointly under (978) 688-1224 and 7817483140 at UC Berkeley. I recently received my B.A. with honor in Statistics and Applied Mathematics also from Berkeley. I am trilingual — fluent in Chinese and English, casual in Japanese.
I am broadly interested in applied data-based methods as well as model-based methods. My long-term goal is to bridge the gap between the two. Some specific research interest of mine includes Bayesian inference, compressed sensing, hybrid dynamical system, machine learning and robust optimization (alphabetical order).
Currently, I amÂ working on 1). inconsistency between large-scale pharmacogenomics datasets and 2). multi-class classification 3). collaborative filtering and recommendation system with Professor 847-513-7836. I am working with Professor electrotherapeutical, Mark van der Laan and Justin Remais on the application of targeted learning on epidemiology survey problems. I am also working with Professor Laurent El Ghaoui on robustness for deep networks. My “unofficial advisor” is 3852310675. Some other undergoing projects span hybrid system, variational inference and reinforcement learning on Mahjong. Feel free to talk to me if you are interested in any of them.
My academic model (something like a role model in an academic space) isÂ this guy.
All my class notes and research notes can be found under “resources” tab. If you find any of them useful, please consider helping a nerd struggling in poverty complete his bookÂ wishlist.
My non-academic interest includes music, video games, traveling, writing novels and checking out great restaurants, below are some details regarding these:
- My favorite music genres are folk and indie. Â My favorite artists are Bob Dylan, Iron & Wine and Lana Del Rey. Â I consider Helplessness BluesÂ by Fleet Foxes as my life theme (you can tell from this website!) Â I am also a big fan of Japanese indie singer Rurutia.
- My favorite video game company is Nintendo; I own every Nintendo game console since N64! Â I am also a big fan of Bethesda and BioWare, as Fallout 4 is the only Fallout gameÂ that I have not played for more than 50 hours.
- I have been to a lot of countries — most East Asian, European, North American and Oceanian countries. Â I am a big fan of Chinese, Japanese and Scandinavian cultures. Â I have visited Japan three times and each time I stayed for more than a month. Â I have also stayedÂ in Denmark for a whole summer break back in 2011.
- My first novel was published on a magazineÂ back when I was a sixth grader in primary school, it was a short mysterious novel — the victim was my math teacher and the murderer was my PE teacher because I did not like them. Â People call me a moving library of mysterious novels because I ownÂ a whole bookshelf of mysterious novels back in China. Â Most of my novels are classified as mystery, though sometimes I write romantic and political novels too.
- I love all kinds of foods, as far as they are delicious. Â However I do have favorites: Â I like Chinese and Japanese restaurants the best. Â I have tried out most Chinese and Japanese places of the San Gabriel Valley area and the bay area. Â As for other genres, I take the MichelinÂ Guide as the Bible because I do not have that much stomach and I really trust them ð
The password to the novel page is my favorite boba flavor in English, which whoever interestedÂ should definitely know.